NeoProgBlog, The Neoprogressive Magazine online

'Work as if you lived in the early days of a better nation.' Alasdair Gray

Welcome to The NeoProgressive, where people of all political persuasions can debate vigorously within a framework of basic American values and mutual respect -- NeoProgressivism.

VISITORS: PLEASE COMMENT! I want to stimulate discussion, not be a voice in the wilderness.

(NeoProgBlog, The Neoprogressive, The Neoprogressive Magazine, and original material © 2005, 2006.)

Monday, January 09, 2006

Gozar's Coming Ho-ome!!

Here's small yet infinitely good news: my kid brothers' friend Joey is coming home from Iraq, where he's been for a year with the Oregon National Guard. There's one! His blog isn't deep philosophy but it's still wonderful, especially the way this young American bonded with the beautiful Iraqi children near his base, started a drive back home to get them shoes, etc. His blog has wonderful photos.

Gozar's coming home! La la la la la! Pray for a safe flight.

Most of my life I’ve been interested in politics and philosophy. During our train up for our part in this war I had myriad opinions and criticisms. But to paraphrase a line from the book "Jarhead," once you’re here politics and opinions don’t mean a thing. I witnessed both the terrible and the grand. I learned of the compassion and generosity of the Iraqi people and the beauty and innocence of their children. My personal barometer of success in Iraq no longer relied on the larger picture of a stable government, reduced troop levels, or number of dead insurgents. My goal has simply been to leave my little piece of this country a little better than when I found it. And by that standard I can say with pride that we accomplished our mission here. Not only have we been able to affect the lives of many people but they have had an enormous impact on us. I remember first thinking how different Iraqis were from us, how strange their behavior and customs were from what we’re used to. Now I see just how similar we are. It’s cliché but true. The children are just as cute and playful as any others. The men and women have the same dreams that we all have; to provide for their families and live happy, fulfilling lives.

1 Comments:

Blogger OsakaJack said...

From what I've read, and from what I understand from people who know him, Gozar is one of those smart, educated and deeply committed individuals who volunteered for the right reasons: financial and service for your country. Entered as a together person and has come out just as together and a decade wiser than the rest of us.

1/09/2006 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home