NeoProgBlog, The Neoprogressive Magazine online

'Work as if you lived in the early days of a better nation.' Alasdair Gray

Welcome to The NeoProgressive, where people of all political persuasions can debate vigorously within a framework of basic American values and mutual respect -- NeoProgressivism.

VISITORS: PLEASE COMMENT! I want to stimulate discussion, not be a voice in the wilderness.

(NeoProgBlog, The Neoprogressive, The Neoprogressive Magazine, and original material © 2005, 2006.)

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Eugene Register-Guard Runs NeoProgBlog Op-Ed

I'm pleased and humbled that the Eugene (Oregon) Register-Guard is running an expanded version of my essay on the War On Christmas as an Op-Ed style piece on the front page of their Commentary section today. I knew this was coming, but was flabbergasted to see my essay taking up 2/3 of the page, accompanied by two large editorial cartoons, and sharing space with a (shorter) piece by Salman Rushdie. I also was surprised to notice that, according to the R-G's count, the War On Christmas was the number one topic of Letters to the Editor last week. Apparently a lot of people are turning on to the issue, and I'm honored that a MSM editor chose to place me front and center.

Thank you, Jack Wilson.

Readers of that piece, please let me know your thoughts by commenting below.

6 Comments:

Blogger Eric A. Stillwell said...

Scott:

I loved your op-ed piece that ran in the Register-Guard yesterday! You've said exactly what I wish I could articulate on my own blog in recent weeks. So I hope you don't mind that I shared your article with my readers at www.liberalbydefinition.com. It fits perfectly with a New York Times op-ed that ran a few days before yours. Excellent, excellent piece! Congratulations!

12/19/2005 9:10 AM  
Blogger Sunshine Jim said...

eya Thersites.

the ReggieGrd was pretty

open to articles and letters to the Ed

when i was lobbying for fisher families and salmon enhancement.

glad they still allow comment from us grass roots types!

12/19/2005 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,

I read your article after I got home from church yesterday. I could not agree more with what you wrote. I look at the "War on Christmas" as like in the musical "The Music Man" where Harold Hill come to town looking for a problem where none exisits. He created the great pool table controversy. I guess they wanted to sell some books and divert attention from real news, like the lousy job Bush is doing.

12/19/2005 3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you had really paid attention to
O'Reilly then you would be aware its not Happy Holidays or whatever greeting a person uses. It people being forced not to say Merry Christmas.

You wrote one long and windy OP-ED piece. It should have been shorter.

12/20/2005 7:18 AM  
Blogger Silly Old Bear said...

I just read your piece and found the link to your blog at the end.

This is fantastic and encompasses much of how I feel about this latest "war."

I have been bombarded by friends and family with numerous e-mails decrying the end of Christmas as we knew it. One of their biggest complaints is that big retailers like Wal-Mart and Target now say "Happy Holidays" in their advertising.

I say lets get all the big retailers out of it altogether. They have so little to do with "true" Christmas that it shouldn't even be up for discussion.

The focus on the economic boom or bust that accompanies a "good" Christmas shopping season long ago sucked any meaning out of their corporate "Merry Christmas" slogans, anyway.

12/20/2005 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wanted to say that i like your blog and this recent piece on the war on xmas.

xmas isn't about jesus or christianity.

its all about profit.

and of course, to conjure some sort of misguided war where none exists, that's just crazy, isn't it? who would actually do that?

oh wait...

--her eyes

12/20/2005 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home